Short stories sought for publication in online quarterly journal focused on Science Fiction Romance
SUBMISSIONS FOR ISSUE 10: Closed
THEME FOR ISSUE 11: Alien Love
Length: 2,000 to 7,500 words.
Payment: 2.5 cents/word (US) paid upon publication, promotional biography with two links, and a complimentary quarter-page advertisement.
Deadline for Issue #11: 15 May 2016.
Rights sought: Six-month exclusive world digital rights from date of publication; non-exclusive thereafter.
Other info: One short story will be published per issue. Please send only edited and polished work. Due to time constraints, we are unable to give personalized feedback on rejected stories.
Stories that tie-in to a previously established world will be considered, but story must stand alone.
All sub-genres of science fiction will be considered.
Any heat level, from sweet to erotic, will be considered. Original, previously unpublished fiction only. No fan fiction, please.
Story should meld the Science Fiction and Romance genres, and must have an upbeat (HEA/HFN) ending. Not quite sure what we’re looking for? Read our original fiction in previous issues. Read also our Fiction Editor’s take on why YOUR story got rejected.
No multiple submissions. No stories that have previously been rejected by us. Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please inform us if the story is placed elsewhere.
Submit! Standard manuscript format, please. Keep scrolling and you’ll come to the submissions form.
— oOo —
UPDATE (24-December-2015): I am adding a consolidated list of comment replies here in order to trim the comment thread. Please don’t take offence if your comment was nuked.
- We are not accepting previously published stories. Only new stories please.
- We aren’t interested in novels. Only short stories to a maximum of 7,500 words.
- If a story doesn’t have an HEA/HFN (Happy Ever After / Happy For Now), then it can’t properly be classified as a Romance; more an “SF with Romantic Elements”. For the time being, we’re sticking with the requirement for straight SFR, as opposed to SFwRE. Should we change the requirements, I’ll update this page forthwith.
- Platonic romances in short stories are fine, as long as the romantic thread resolves with an HFN/HEA ending.
- We only accept one short story per writer per issue.
- Queer romances are fine.
- Stories from outside the USA are encouraged.
- If you have a story that’s tied in to a universe you’ve written, that’s fine, but the story must make sense without having to resort to reading those events in previous/future books.
- If you want to italicise something in the text, then use italics. Please DON’T use underlines. Underlines were used when typewriters were ubiquitous and you had only one set of keys at your disposal. That is no longer the case. If you want italics, *use* italics.
- Ms Fiction Editor Dooley also reminds me that, likewise, the “two spaces after a fullstop/period” rule has also gone the way of the dodo. Only one space after the period, please.
- From a markup point of view, please also try to make sure that there are no spaces at the end of paragraphs, and that you use indented paragraphs rather than the Tab key.
- Cussing in the dialogue is fine.
- We won’t be pasting the submission email address as an image.
- We would prefer original, previously unpublished (and this includes self-published) stories.
- Our Fiction Editor, Diane Dooley, informs everyone of acceptance/rejection. We apologise that time does not permit personalised feedback.
— oOo —
Before you submit:
Have you read the previous stories we’ve published, to see the kind of SF/Romance mix and ending we’re after?